Bodily Injury Liability
- If you’re at fault for an accident in which someone in another vehicle or a pedestrian is hurt, bodily injury liability will help pay for the associated medical expenses. In some states, this type of coverage automatically applies to any passengers on your bike, while in others you must pay an additional premium for the coverage to apply to your passenger.
Property Damage Liability
- If you cause an accident that damages another person’s property, such as a vehicle or a building, property damage liability helps pay for repairs or replacement.
- According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, because motorcycle riders lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, they have a greater chance of being injured. That’s why medical payments, which helps pay for medical costs for you or your passenger due to an accident, are a vital part of your insurance coverage.
Personal Injury Protection
- Likewise, personal injury protection, which is only available in some states, can help pay for expenses related to an injury from an accident, regardless of fault. These costs may include, for example, lost income, medical bills, funeral costs and even child care expenses.
- In the event your bike is damaged due to a collision with another bike, a car, a fire hydrant or another object or structure, collision coverage helps pay for repairs, regardless of fault.
- Collisions aren’t the only way your bike can be damaged—and that’s where comprehensive coverage comes in. For example, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, in 2011, a motorcycle was stolen every 11 minutes in our country. Theft, vandalism, and hail can all get in the way of your enjoyment of your bike, and depending on the terms of your policy, comprehensive coverage may help pay to repair or replace your bike if it’s damaged by these or other causes.
Uninsured Or Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury
- Despite the states’ various legal requirements, not every driver on the road is adequately insured, or even insured at all. And in the event you or your passenger are injured in an accident caused by another driver, uninsured or underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage helps pay for the damages.